Current Affairs Questions Month of December 2010
Current Affairs Month of December 2010
Science and Technology
December 2010 National Affairs
# Supreme Court authorised Medical Council of India (MCI) to conduct single Common Entrance Test (CET) at all India level for MBBS and post-graduation seats in all government and private colleges from 2011-12.
# Prime Minister Manmohan Singh inaugurated the ‘India Corporate Week 2010′ in New Delhi.
# Indian Pharmacological Society’s 43rd annual conference held at National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) in Hyderabad. Former President APJ Abdul Kalam delivered the valedictory speech at the conference.
# The Andhra Pradesh State Assembly passed the Microfinance Institutions Regulation Bill to protect the Self Help Groups (SHGs) from exploitations of microfinance institutions in the state.
# Yashoda Hospitals located in Secunderabad received the accreditation from National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH – constituent board of Quality Council of India). Yashodha Hospitals has become the third hospital to get the accreditation in Andhra Pradesh.
# The district agricultural departments submitted the estimated reports agricultural damages due the December first week rains as Rs.2158.65 crore to the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
# The Rajasthan High Court ruled that Gujjars cannot be given special reservation and an act of 2008 has no “substratum of quantifiable data” that could justify the reservation.
# The West Bengal government decides to reserve 17 per cent seats in all government -aided colleges for students belonging to the other backward classes (OBCs). However the implementation of reservation in Medical and Engineering Colleges will depend on the permission given by the concerned authority.
# Ranga Reddy district emerged as the first district in the State with highest contribution of Rs.5.52 lakh for Flag Day fund during the year 2009.
# The Protection of Women Against Sexual Harassment at Workplace Bill 2010 was introduced by Minister of State for Women and Child Development Krishna Tirath which makes the employer mandatory to probe into the complaint and can be fined upto Rs.50000.
# Al Jazeera English TV channel started its broadcasting in India after a wait of 4 years for permission from Indian Government. Al Jazeera started its Arabic broadcast in 1996 with its headquarters in Doha, Qatar.
# The Supreme Court admitted that the earlier judgment of upholding the death sentence awarded by trial court and confirmed by High Court were a mistake and violation of human rights of the accused. It was announced in the case of Ram Deo Chauhan alias Raj Nath Chauha of Assam guilty of murdering the four members of family in March 1992.
# The Union Government constituted one-member committee to examine the process and procedure following by Department of Telecommunication in allocation of spectrum licenses. Retired Supreme Court Judge Shivaraj V Patil will examine the procedures adopted by DoT.
# The Supreme Court finds fault with AP High Court in allowing the bye-elections for Sircilla and Vemulavada Assembly constituencies. In the same case it has said not to conduct the elections when case is pending before the court.
# A total of 15000 state government employees retired on 30 November 2010. This is the first time that the highest number of government employees retired after June this year.
# A division bench of Andhra Pradesh High Court stayed the implementation of Right to Education Bill. Few sections of The Right to Education Bill were questioned by an association of private schools as they are against their rights.
# The Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Kiran Kumar Reddy unveils his team of 39 Cabinet Ministers and their portfolios. 28 Cabinet Ministers retain their ministry and 11 new Ministers are part of the jumbo Cabinet.
# The 2 day seminar on Media and Entertainment Conclave organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) was held in Hyderabad.
# The 53rd Andhra Pradesh State Police Duty Meet held in Hyderabad ended with AP State Governor, ESL Narasimhan’ address. The first State Police Duty Meet was held in 1953.
# The first Cabinet Ministers meet of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister’s Kiran Kumar Reddy held. The Cabinet meet decided to increase the dearness allowance (DA) to 8.56 percent to the state government employees and pensioners. This decision would cost the State Government for an additional Rs.1,488 crore per year.
# Indo-Global Education Summit organised by the Indus Foundation was held in Hyderabad. A total of 150 universities across the globe and 500 Indian institutions attended summit.
# The National Institute of Public Finance and Policy (NIPFP) organised international conference on ‘Economic Policies for Inclusive Development’ in New Delhi. Indian Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee attended the inaugural address.
# Film actor Aamir Khan sought the support of Members of Parliament (MPs) during his visit to Parliament for promoting his awareness campaign on ‘Malnutrition Among Infants’.
* Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrived in New Delhi to improve the Indo-China relations. The issues of permanent seat to India at UN and stapled visas to Kashmiris are likely to be discussed during the tour.
* Russian President Dmitry Medvedev arrived in New Delhi to start his two-day visit to India. Indian and Russian counterparts signed nearly 30 agreements in the public and private sectors
* French President Nicolas Sarkozy visited the satellite exhibition being held in Bangalore during his four-day visit to India. Sarkozy called for a permanent seat for India in United Nations Security Council.
* India and France sign agreements on various subjects like Film Production, Intellectual Property Rights, Nuclear Energy and Earth System Science and Climate at New Delhi. French President Nicolas Sarkozy and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were present at signing off the documents.
* Indian Ambassador to the United States Meera Shankar subjected to pat down at Jackson-Evers International Airport in Mississippi and was singled out because she was in sari.
December 2010 Economy
* UK Sinha appointed as the new Chairman of Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI). Sinha will replace CB Bhave on Feb. 17, 2011. Sinha is now the Chairman and Managing Director of UTI Asset Management Company.
* India pulled ahead of China to take first place in the Forbes list of best countries for new jobs with 42 percent of net hiring outlook for the first quarter of 2011. The new hiring list of 2011 compiled by Forbes magazine gave second and seventh places to China and United State of America respectively.
* India’s largest motorcycle manufacturer, Hero Honda Motors approved the termination of 25 years long joint venture agreement with Japan’s Honda Motors. Honda owns 26 percent stake in Hero Honda and the joint venture started in 1984.
* Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) imposes ban on former chairman of Pyramid Saimira Theatre from the markets for 10 years. PS Saminathan and his wife Uma Saminathan were banned for 10 and 5 years respectively for fudging the company’s accounts, misleading investors and making false corporate announcements.
* President Pratibha Devisingh Patil inaugurated the centenary celebration of Central Bank of India founded on December 21, 1911. It was referred as ‘swadeshi bank’ during the freedom struggle. President Patil releases the commemorative stamp on this occasion.
* India occupied the first and second positions in global remittances and emigration numbers. According to the World Bank’s latest release of Migration and Remittances Fact book 2011, India stood first with $55 billion in 2010 from $49.6 billion in the year 2009. In terms of emigration, India occupies second place with 11.4 million migrations in 2010 after Mexico.
* Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) topped the list of top 500 Indian companies followed by Reliance Industries, State Bank of India and Bharat Petroleum Corporation with second, third and fourth places respectively. This is the first-ever Fortune list of Indian entities compiled by business magazine Fortune.
* Andhra Pradesh has become the second biggest state to have the big budget for the state after Uttar Pradesh. Andhra Pradesh Information Technology Minister, Ponnala Laxmaiah said in a management seminar held in Hyderabad that A.P. is the second biggest in terms of per capita income state budgets.
* Two nuclear weapons-capable Prithvi-II missiles were tested successfully from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur, Orissa.
* The last of India’s Foxtrot-class submarines, INS Vagli retired after 36 years of service. The retirement of INS Vagli will leave only 14 more submarines for India now.
* India’s indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) successfully test fired R-73 missile. The test firing took place at INS Hansa naval air base in Goa.
* Indian actress Katrina Kaif voted as the sexiest woman in the world. This is the third consecutive time Katrina won the award from British magazine Eastern Eye.
* MCX Stock Exchange and CNBC TV18 jointly organised the ‘India Business Leaders Awards (IBLA) 2010’ in Mumbai. Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee presented the awards to Mukesh Ambani and Chanda Kocchar.
* Chemplast Sanmar won two national awards for its efficiency on water management. Chemplast Sanmar won the awards for the successful case study of zero liquid discharge at Mettur Plant. The National Award for Excellence in Water Management was organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in Hyderabad.
* Telenos in association with The KNOW Network selected Infosys Technologies as the winner of the prestigious global, Asian and Indian Most Admired Knowledge Enterprises (MAKE) Award.
* Suggu Sai Akhil a first year Intermediate student of Guntur won the silver medal at International Junior Science Olympiad held at Abuja, Abiya in Nigeria.
* Mark Zuckerberg the founder of The Facebook social networking site was named as the ‘Person of the Year’ by Time Magazine for the year of 2010. The honour will be presented to those who for better or for worse do the most influencing events of the year.
* Dr. Pinnamaneni and Smt. Seethadevi Foundation Award for 2010 presented to world renowned percussionist Ustad Zakir Hussain in Vijayawada. The award, which carries a citation and Rs.5 lakh in cash were presented by the elder son of Dr. Pinnamaneni, PRK Prasad to Zakir Hussain.
* Prime Minister Manmohan Singh presented the SCOPE (Standing Conference of Public Enterprises) award and MOU Awards for the year 2008-09. SCOPE Awards are presented for excellence and outstanding contribution to public sector management.
* David Perlman Award of American Geophysical Union was awarded to Pallava Bagla for excellence in science journalism on impact of climate change on Himalayan glaciers. Bagla is working for NDTV as science editor.
* Bio Spectrum Journal from Cyber media presented their awards for 2010. Karnataka state won the Bio Spectrum Biotech State of the Year Award and Biocon Limited Chairman Kiran Mazumdar Shaw bagged the Bio Spectrum Leadership Award. Nuziveedu Seeds from Andhra Pradesh has won the Bio Agri Company Award.
* India-China Friendship Award was presented to G. Viswanathan, Chancellor of Vellore Institute of Technology University by Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao. The award is presented in recognition of significant contributions to promote China-India friendship. VIT is the first institute in the country to start an official Chinese Language Centre in the country.
* Dr. I.V. Subba Rao Agri Journalism Awards – 2010 presented by Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development D. Purandeswarai to the winners at Hyderabad.
* The power plant and Ferro alloy plant of Nava Bharat Ventures Limited at Paloncha bagged the national award for excellence in water management, 2010 from Confederation of Indian Industry.
* Professor Wei Zhang, a Benjamin Pierce Instructor at the Department of Mathematics, Harvard University received the SASTRA-Ramanujam Award. The award was instituted by the Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy (SASTRA) University to encourage path-breaking research in Ramanujan Mathematics for 2010.
* Indian Boxer Vijender Singh received the ‘Most Valuable Performance Award’ from Samsung at a felicitation function for Gangzhou Asian Games.
* Tata Nano received the worlds oldest and most coveted Good Design Award for 2010. The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design together with The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies conferrers the award annually.
* The five day event of Asian Film festival was inaugurated in Tenali, Andhra Pradesh by Federation of Film Societies of India (FFSI). This is the first time that the film festival is being held in Tenali.
* Agri Journalism – 2010 awards established in the name of I.V. Subbarao declared the winners of this year. Sakshi journalist, D. Shyamsundara Reddy selected for his contributions in agricultural journalism Nicole Faria of India won the Miss Earth Talent 2010 after leaving 17 other contestants behind in the talent show held at Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Nicole Faria, a 20-year-old girl lives in Bangalore.
* The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) won the national award for the year 2008-09 for operation of city buses with highest Kilometers Per Liter (KMPL). The Visakhapatnam Urban Division achieved this with 5.57 KMPL by leaving 14 other participants behind for the award.
* The Andhra Pradesh State Government announced 3 national film awards for the 2009. Ch. Ramoji Rao was selected for Nagireddy-Chakrapani National Award, actress B Saroja Devi honoured with prestigious N T Rama Rao National Film Award and director K Raghavendra Rao selected for B N Reddy National Award for 2009. The veteran producer K Raghava was selected for Raghupathi Venkaiah Award 2008 by the Government of Andhra Pradesh Renu Challu, Managing Director of State Bank of Hyderabad received the “India’s Most Efficient Big Bank” award. The award was instituted by Business Today Magazine.
* Eminent Percussionist Zakir Hussain will receive this year’s prestigious Dr.Pinnnamaneni and Smt.Seethadevi Foundation award.
* Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in absentia at an Oslo ceremony derided by Beijing as a political farce, and he dedicated it from his prison cell to the “Lost Souls” of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown.
* The Motor Cycle Display team of the Army Service Corps (ASC) also known as Tornadoes broke two world records to achieve a distance of 1,100 metres with 54 persons on a single moving 500 CC Enfield motorcycle by covering a distance of 925 metres.
* Irish writer Rowan Somerville won the Literary Review magazine’s Bad Sex in Fiction award for his novel, The Shape of Her. The Bad Sex in Fiction award was set up by British writer and journalist Auberon Waugh in 1993.
* Kadapa Municipal Corporation received 2 national awards for its performance in housing and governance. The first award was given under Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Revewal Mission’s Integrated Housing Slum Development Project and the second was given for its reforms in better governance.
* The 10 day 41st International Film Festival of India (IFFI) held in Goa ended. The Best Film award goes to ‘Moner Manush’ directed by Gautam Ghose to receive the Golden Peacock.
* The best self-employed speech and hearing impairment national award was presented by President Pratibha Patil to the winner Rekha Patri of Andhra Pradesh
* Soumyajit Ghosh becomes the first Indian to win the medal in World Junior Table Tennis Championships. Ghosh won the bronze medal in mixed doubles along with his team mate NG Wing Nam of Hong Kong. Ghosh won the medal against Korean players at Bratislava, Slovak Republic.
* Ace Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal won the Hong Kong Open againt Shixian Wang of China. Saina has won back-to-back titles this year – Indian Open Grand Prix, Singapore Open Super Series, Commonwealth Games and Hong Kong Open.
* Sachin Tendulkar’s record-breaking double century in ODI against South Africa has found a place in Time magazine’s top 10 sporting movements of the year. Sachin holding the record of first ever double century in one day international cricket matches.
* Six Indian Hockey players were selected for Asian All-Stars Hockey team by Asian Hockey Federation for their best performance in recent Asian Games held at Guangzhou, China. According to Hockey India Sandeep Singh, Rajpal Singh, Arjun Halappa, Gurbaj Singh and Joydeep Kaur and Rani Rampal are selected from women’s section.
* The Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) completed its election process and announced the new office bearers that were stayed following the orders of the Patna High Court in October. The Karnataka State Hockey Association President RK Shetty will replace KPS Gill as President of IHF. Gill was first elected as President of IHF in 1998 and his association with IHF is ending now nearly after two-decades.
* Sachin Tendulkar has become the first batsman in the world to score Test hundreds for 50 times. The 50th Test century was made against South Africa at Centurion grounds. The first Test century of Tendulkar was arrived in Manchester in 1990.
* Rafael Nadal and Caroline Wozniacki named for International Tennis Federation World Champions for 2010. Nadal and Wozniacki selected for ITF awards for second and first time respectively.
* Novak Djokovic and Viktor Troicki gave Serbia for the first time Davis Cup Tennis title after beating the nine-time winner France. Serbia has become the 13th country to win the title in 110 years history of Davis Cup.
* Yusuf Pathan gets his first century in One Day International against New Zealand with his unbeaten 123 runs in the fourth match of the series played in Bangalore. Pathan led India to victory to chase the score of 315 made by New Zealand. Pathan made 123 runs from 96 balls with 7 fours and 7 sixers.
* Team India won 5-0 against New Zealand as part of the 5th ODI held in M.A.Chidambaram Stadium at Chennai. Man-of-the-Mach was given to Yuvraj Singh, Player-of-the-Series to Gambhir.
* The FIFA (Federation Internationale de Football Association) Executive Committee member Franz Beckenbauer announced that the Soccer World Cup 2018 and 2022 will be held in Russia and Qatar respectively. Qatar will be the first Muslim country to hoast the games. The next 2014 World Cup will be held in Brazil. The bid for 2018 and 2022 were finalised by the 22 FIFA Executive Committee Members
Indian tennis player Rohan Bopanna and his Pakistan counterpart Aisam ul Haq in tennis doubles also known Indo-Pak Express awarded the 2010 Prix of Peace & Sports in Monaco.
December 2010 Persons
# Richard Holbrooke, the American Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan died at the age of 69 due to his ill health.
# Julian Assange the founder of WikiLeaks website was selected as the ‘Person of the Year’ by Time Magazine for the year of 2010.
# The former Chief Minister of Kerala and veteran Congress leader, K. Karunakaran died at the age of 93 in Ananthapuri Hospital and Research Centre, Thiruvananthapuram due to respiratory problems.
# Civil Right activist Binayak Sen was sentenced to life imprisonment after being convicted of sedition by a Raipur Court along with Naxal ideologue Narayan Sanyal and Kolkata based Businessman Pijush Guha.
# Satyanand Mishra appointed as Chief Information Commissioner to succeed AN Tiwari. The high-level committee headed by Manmohan Singh including Sushma Swaraj and Veerappa Moily decided in favour of Satyanand Mishar.
# Senior JD(S) leader and Rajya Sabha member M Rajasekhara Murthy died at the age of 88 due to cardiac arrest. Rajasekhara Murthy was a freedom fighter. He was first elected to Rajya Sabha in 1994 and elected to Rajya Sabha recently from Bangalore in 2006.
# Narayana Rao Pawar dies at the age of 85 in Hyderabad due to ill health. He was born on 3 March 1926 a freedom fighter in India’s struggle for independence and was the first citizen to throw a bomb on the last Nizam of Hyderabad to kill him.
# Senior Telugu film producer K.Devi Vara Prasad Passed away on Friday at Hyderabad. He was 68 years old. He produced several hit films with the late NTR and Chiranjeevi. His films include ‘Naa Desam’, ‘Tiruguleni Manishi’, Kondaveeti Raja’,and the hugely-popular ‘Gharana Mogudu’.
# The Central Government appointed R.K. Singh as the Chairman and Managing Director of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL). At present he holds the portfolio of Director (Refineries) at BPCL and likely to assume the Chiarman’s office this week.
# Marri Sashidhar Reddy appointed as Vice Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). He is an elected member of Legislative Assembly from Andhra Pradesh and a former member of NDMA.
# J Satyanarayana, IAS designated as Special Chief Secretary to the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. Satyanarayana will also act as over all in-charge of Chief Minister’s Office of Kiran Kumar Reddy
# Magistrate, A Yesuratnam of Venkatagiri Court in Sree Potti Sreeramulu Nellore District declared judgements in 300 different cases. This is the first time that number of judgements is announced in one single day in the history of Indian judiciary.
# Amar Pratap Singh of 1974 IPS batch appointed as new Director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Amar Pratap Singh will replace Ashwanikumar as the later’s tenure is completed.
# Bihar-cadre IPS officer of 1973 batch Nehchal Sandhu appointed as Chief of Intelligence Bureau from January 1, 2011. Nehchal Sandhu will succeed Rajiv Mathur of 1972 batch
Click Here To More Current Affairs Questions