GATE 2011 Computer Science and Information Technology (CS) Solved Paper
1. A thread is usually defined as a ‘light weight process’ because an operating system (OS) maintains smaller data structures for a thread than for a process. In relation to this, which of the followings is TRUE?
(A) On per-thread basis, the OS maintains only CPU register state
(B) The OS does not maintain a separate stack for each thread
(C) On per-thread basis, the OS does not maintain virtual memory state
(D) On per thread basis, the OS maintains only scheduling and accounting
Answer: – (A)
2. The lexical analysis for a modern computer language such as Java needs the
power of which one of the following machine models in a necessary and sufficient
(A) Finite state automata
(B) Deterministic pushdown automata
(C) Non-Deterministic pushdown automata
(D) Turing machine
Answer: – (A)
3. Let the page fault service time be 10ms in a computer with average memory access time being 20ns. If one page fault is generated for every 106 memory accesses, what is the effective access time for the memory?
(A) 21ns (B) 30ns (C) 23ns (D) 35ns
Answer: – (B)
4. Consider a hypothetical processor with an instruction of type LW R1, 20(R2), which during execution reads a 32-bit word from memory and stores it in a 32-bit register R1. The effective address of the memory location is obtained by the addition of constant 20 and the contents of register R2. Which of the following best reflects the addressing mode implemented by this instruction for the operand in memory?
(A) Immediate Addressing (B) Register Addressing
(C) Register Indirect Scaled Addressing (D) Base Indexed Addressing
Answer: – (D)
5. In a compiler, keywords of a language are recognized during
(A) parsing of the program (B) the code generation
(C) the lexical analysis of the program (D) dataflow analysis
Answer: – (C)
6. Consider different activities related to email.
m1: Send an email from a mail client to a mail server
m2: Download an email from mailbox server to a mail client
m3: Checking email in a web browser
Which is the application level protocol used in each activity?
(A) m1:HTTP m2:SMTP m3:POP (B) m1:SMTP m2:FTP m3:HTTP
(C) m1: SMTP m2: POP m3: HTTP (D) m1: POP m2: SMTP m3:IMAP
Answer: – (C)
7.A company needs to develop digital signal processing software for one of its newest inventions. The software is expected to have 40000 lines of code. The company needs to determine the effort in person-months needed to develop this software using the basic COCOMO model. The multiplicative factor for this model is given as 2.8 for the software development on embedded systems, while the exponentiation factor is given as 1.20. What is the estimated effort in person months?
(A) 234.25 (B) 932.50 (C) 287.80 (D) 122.40
Click Here For GATE 2011 CS Question Paper With Answers