ICET General English Sample Questions | ICET Previous Year General English Solved Papers | ICET General English Solved Questions
ICET GENERAL ENGLISH SAMPLE QUESTIONS
1. The correct answer is Choice (D). Although Choices (C) and (D) are correct passive voice of the verb in the given sentence. The word ‘known’ is followed by only ‘to’ and not ‘by’.
2. Something can be ‘impossible to determine’ only when it is hidden or inactive. So, for the first blank, we can have dormant in choice (A) and latent (hidden) in choice (D). (We eliminate choices (B) and (C)). Now for the second blank, postulate is absurd as it does make any sense with ‘dormant’. However, observation in choice (D) makes sense with ‘latent’. Choice (D)
108. ‘Quibble’ means ‘complain’.
3. ‘Gung ho’ means ‘enthusiastic’.
4. To ‘disparage’ is to belittle and the correct antonym is choice (D) applaud (to praise). Choice (D)
5. The blank requires the verb persuade. The phrase that means ‘persuade’ is choice (B), ‘prevail upon’.
6. We ‘have’ a difficulty, we do not ‘get’ it or ‘be getting’ it. Hence, choices (B) and (D) are wrong. Also, we have difficulty ‘in’ doing something not ‘on’ doing something.
7. The word ‘object’ can be used as both noun and verb. As a noun it means ‘a thing’ and as a verb it means ‘to take exception’. Hence, we can replace the underlined parts with choice (A), object. The other words don’t have the same meanings in any of their forms.
Note: In statement Ι, the article before the underlined word (thing) should have been given as a/an, since ‘a’ would make the student wonder if the word can be replaced by one beginning with a vowel. Choice (A)
8. The meaning of the given idiom is choice (D), ‘to express disbelief’. Choice (D)
9. Plagiarism is an act of misusing other’s ideas, words etc., and similarly misappropriation is an act of misusing someone else’s money or property. Hence, the correct answer is choice (B). Theft in choice (C) can be the stealing of anything, not necessarily ‘gold’ and so choice (C) is wrong. Choice (B)
10. Abstemious means temperate (not allowing yourself much
food or alcohol). Choice (B)
11.The first sentence (S) says Tagore had ‘no blue print’. This is apt by followed by R which says he did not believe in any‘ism’. So choices (A) and (B) can be ruled out. Between choices (C) and (D), the latter is better since ‘He merely emphasised certain basic truths……’ carries forward the idea in R (did not believe in any ‘ism’). While S can also follow R, P following R, (with ‘therefore’) is incorrect. P correctly follows Q (he emphasized ‘basic truths’ and ‘therefore never be out of date’). Choice (D)
12. We cannot say ‘can be able to’ as both ’can’ and ‘able to’ mean the same. One of the two is redundant. ‘be able’ is are correct.
Note: The question should have underlined ‘be able to’ and
choice (A) should include ‘to’ since the sentence would not read right with ‘to’. Choice (A)
13. Sentence 1 of paragraph 2 clearly states that ‘the least controversial assertion about the pterosaurs is that they were reptiles’. From this we can ‘infer’ that the answer is choice (D). Choice (D)
14. From 2nd, 3rd and 4th statements in 2nd paragraph, we can understand that the correct answer is choice (C). Choice (C)