Scholarships in Finland
The Finnish government has come up with excellent scholarship plans that are aimed at pleasing all the foreign nationals every year. These wonderful grants will allow students from all over the world to carry out higher studies and researches in Finland. You will find that scholarships in Finland are mainly based upon mostly cultural agreements made between Finland and other developed as well as developing nations.
The Finnish Government offers scholarships for post-graduate studies, research and teaching for 3-9 months at a higher education institution or public research institute in Finland.
Nationals of the following countries, with which Finland has bilateral scholarship agreements, may apply:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Mongolia, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey.
Eligibility Criteria to Avail Scholarships in Finland
To qualify for any Scholarship in Finland you must be a visiting student with a good academic record and who has participated in research projects or seminars related to your field of expertise. Finland gives higher priority to Doctoral programmes than other courses. The aspiring student must also belong to the group of nations with which Finland has an academic agreement. Your student life in will become definitely a lot easier if you qualify for such scholarships and educational grants in Finland.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
* intend to pursue post-graduate studies as a visiting student, participate in a research project or teach at a higher education institution or public research institute in Finland; priority will be given to doctoral studies
* have established contact with the Finnish receiving institution before applying
* have a letter of invitation from the academic supervisor in Finland
* have earned at least a Master-level degree before applying
* not have spent more than one year already at a Finnish higher education institution immediately before the intended scholarship period in Finland
* be able to give proof of sufficient skills in speaking and writing the language needed in study/research
* be a national of one of the eligible countries listed above
The scholarship includes:
* a monthly allowance of EUR 725. The allowance is sufficient for one person only.
* an arrival money of EUR 200 for scholarship recipients staying for the whole academic year and EUR 100 for those staying for one term.
Expenses due to travel, international or in Finland, are not covered by CIMO. Scholarship recipients are recommended to make arrangements for sufficient insurance coverage for their stay in Finland.
Applications for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool are made to the appropriate authority in the applicant’s home country. For information on the appropriate authorities in the above-mentioned countries, please see the list at the bottom of this page.
The scholarship authorities in each country are invited to present applications for up to 10 candidates for the Finnish Government Scholarship Pool. The deadline for the nomination of scholarship candidates by the national authorities is 1 February 2005. It should be noted that the application deadline set by the authorities in each country may be earlier and must be checked country by country.
CIMO will inform of the results by June 2005.
Documents required for application:
* completed and signed application form
* curriculum vitae
* copies of latest diplomas
* two letters of recommendation
* study/research plan (1-2 pages)
* tinvitation from the academic supervisor in Finland
* language certificate (Finnish, Swedish or English)
Please save the application form (link below) in your own computer first/before filling in your data. The form should be type/word-processed throughout. To move between different fields, use the “Tab” key. Relevant boxes can be ticked by using the “Space” key or the left-hand mouse button. After completing the form, please print and sign it.
The application form is available in Word-format:
Finnish Government Scholarships Pool: Application form
Applications must include the application form, duly completed and signed, and all the required documents. They must be submitted to the relevant authorities in the applicant’s home country unless it is otherwise stated; for further details, please see the list of relevant contact authorities.
Prominent Scholarship Foundations of Finland
You will come across several scholarships in Finland that are aimed at propagating Finland’s academic arena. The scholarships in Finland are aimed at providing financial aids to foreign students who want to pursue doctorates and post-graduate degrees from Finland. As mentioned earlier Finland has made agreements with Ukraine, Switzerland, Turkey, Spain, Romania, India, Italy, Norway, Greece, Australia, Bulgaria, China, Egypt and some more so as to offer their citizens ideal scholarships in Finland. Some of the most popular financial assistance programmes that are available in Finland are mentioned below-
* Finnish Goverment Scholarship Pool
* International CIMO Fellowships for Young Researchers
* Finnish Studies and Research/Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies and Research at Finnish University. Sitra Fellowships for Indian Students
* Centre for International Mobility Scholarship
* Finnish Studies and Research/Scholarships for Undergraduate
* CIMO Fellowships
* PhD Fellowship in Optical Physics / Engineering
* Post Graduate Fellowship in Multitrophic Interactions in Space
* PhD Studentship in Optoelectronics at the Department of Physics, the University of Kuopio.