ACQUIRE POST GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME 2011
Applications are invited for the award of ACQUIRE Postgraduate Scholarship Programme 2011 from 1st year PG students in Social Science disciplines studying in University departments or affiliated colleges (Government and Aided colleges) in the State. The ACQUIRE Scholarship Programme is an initiative by the Department of Higher Education, Government of Kerala and coordinated by the School of Social Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University. The aim of the programme for postgraduate students is to inculcate research aptitude among the students by encouraging them to undertake research projects in various disciplines in social sciences. Eminent scholars from within the Country will act as Project Advisors. This will help the students to broaden their knowledge regarding various social issues and to deepen their understanding of the theoretical practices in social sciences. For broad based theoretical studies, collaboration with scholars in Universities within India and abroad will be ensured. First year Postgraduate students of social sciences in the University Departments and Affiliated Colleges in Kerala are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
The selected students could identify a scholar of eminence within the country as Project Advisor (the academic committee for social sciences will prepare a panel of eminent scholars within India and abroad for this purpose, which will be published in the website) and a scholar in the universities or colleges as project consultant. The Postgraduate student scholar shall be the Project Director and the undergraduate students of the colleges shall be taken as Research Assistants. This will help the undergraduate student to brush up their talents and to have deeper understanding of research methodology in social sciences. The project will be for a period of up to 3 to 4 months. The projects will be allotted subject to the approval by expert committees constituted and a maximum of Rs. 50,000 would
be allotted to each project. The principal of the college and the project consultant shall ensure effective utilization of the funds.
There would be 20 project scholarships. Women and Economically and Socially backward candidates are encouraged to apply. The Project Director will prepare the project proposals in consultation with the project consultants and submit the proposals. The proposals will be scrutinized by expert committees constituted for the purpose. The project report shall be submitted within a period of five months. The project reports shall be made available in the website. The Application form can be downloaded from the Mahatma Gandhi University website www.mgu.ac.in as well as from http://www.acquirekerala.org/
The hardcopy of the application for the projects should be send to the State Level Coordinator, ACQUIRE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME, School of Social Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Pullarikunnu, Malloossery P.O., Kottayam-686 041.
RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR THE SELECTION OF STUDENTS FOR THE ACQUIRE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
1. The scholarship is intended only for 1st year P.G students from all Social Science disciplines.
2. Students from all University departments, Government and Aided colleges in the State are eligible to apply.
3. It is intended to nurture real inquisitiveness about the subject matter of Social Sciences and to train them through interaction with experts.
4. The selection will be based on the conceptual merit and originality of the research proposal.
5. SC/ST, OEC candidates should submit proof of caste/community.
6. Women and economically and socially backward candidates are encouraged to apply (submit relevant documents to substantiate the cause).
7. The allowed project period will be for a maximum of 3-4 months with a maximum funding of Rs. 50,000/- subject to the approval of the Expert Committee.
8. The Project Report should be submitted within 5 months of the commencement of the Project.
9. The Project Reports will be published in the ACQUIRE website maintained by the Government of Kerala.
10. Applications should be send to the State Level Coordinator, ACQUIRE Scholarship Programme, School of Social Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Pullarikunnu, Mallossery, Kottayam – 686 041
Applications should be accompanied by:
1) Attach attested copies of all relevant mark lists
2) Attach attested copy of Caste/Community certificate.
3) Attach a detailed and focused research proposal not exceeding
1000 words, regarding the project the candidates wishes to undertake.
4) Attach the consent letter from the Project Consultant.
Completed applications should reach The State Level Coordinator, ACQUIRE Scholarship Programme, School of Social Sciences, Mahatma Gandhi University, Pullarikunnu, Mallossery, Kottayam – 686 041. Ph: 0481-2392383 (between 10am-4pm) on or before 15 March, 2011.