SSC Combined Graduate Level Examination Proficiency Test/Skill Test | SSC CGLE Proficiency Test/Skill Test
Combined Graduate Level Examination
Note on Proficiency Test/Skill Test
I. In the Combined Graduate Level Examination, 2010, posts of Assistant (CSS) and Tax Assistant for CBEC and CBDT have been included. The notice for the examination dated30.01.2010 (Para 9 D) prescribes Skill Test in Data Entry with speed of 8000 (eight thousand) key impressions per hour on computer for the post of Tax Assistan (Central Excise and Income Tax). It was also prescribed in the Notice that the “Data Entry Speed” Skill Test will be of qualifying nature, with the note that the test will be conducted in the manner decided by SSC for the purpose. Para 9(E) of the Notice states that the Commission will hold a skill test at its discretion for the post of Assistants (CSS) and that it will test computer proficiency of the candidates and will be of qualifying nature. It was further stated that this Skill Test will be conducted in the manner decided by the Commission for the purpose.
II. The Commission has now decided the manner in which the aforesaid Skill Tests will be conducted. The Commission has already published three lists of candidates qualifying for the interview/skill test for posts for which interview is prescribed inter-alia including the post of Assistants (CSS), additional candidates qualifying for interview/skill test only for the post of Assistants (CSS) and additional candidates qualifying for skill test for only Tax Assistants, subject to the candidates having exercised option for the posts of Assistant (CSS) and Tax Assistant in their original application. This note is placed on the website of the Commission in order to allow adequate time to the candidates to familiarize themselves with the format(s) of the Skill Tests.
III. Skill Test in Data Entry for Tax Assistants.
(i) The skill test will be administered for duration of 15 minutes on passages containing text of 2000 key depressions.
(ii) The actual skill test will be preceded by a test passage for 5 minutes in order to enable the candidates to adjust to the system and key board provided by the Commission.
(iii) The candidates will not be required to re-enter the text on completion of the passage and, therefore, should utilize the spare time to correct mistakes, if any.
(iv) Commission will decide at its discretion qualifying standard in entry of the text for different categories of candidates taking into consideration overall performance of the candidates in the skill test and available vacancies, subject to the standards not falling below limits fixed by the Commission.
(v) As clearly stated in the Notice for the examination, the skill test will be of qualifying nature.
(vi) As in the past, the test passage will be in English as the purpose of the test is to test data entry skills of the candidates.
IV. Test of Computer Proficiency for Assistants (CSS)
1. The Proficiency Test will consist of the following three components:
(i) Word Processing
(ii) Generation and working on Spread Sheets.
(iii) Generation of and working on PowerPoint (or equivalent) slides.
2. The proficiency test on word processing will be identical to the skill test to be administered for Tax Assistants in scope, content and duration.
3. Before commencement of actual test on word processing a test passage of 5 minutes duration will be allowed to enable the candidates to adjust to the system and key board provided by the Commission.
4. The test on spread sheets and PowerPoint (or equivalent) will be administered for duration of 15 minutes each using Open Office. Candidates are advised to familiarize themselves on OPEN OFFICE which is freely downloadable and is very similar to M.S. Office. The tests on spread sheet will inter-alia test the ability of the candidates to generate a spread sheet, perform simple computations and effect changes in the spread sheet, besides testing their familiarity with use of spread sheets including generation of charts, graphs etc. The test on Power Point (or equivalent) will test the candidates’ familiarity in the software, their ability to generate slides, effect transition / changes in the slides etc.
5. The Commission may prescribe different qualifying standards in each of the tests depending on the overall performance of the candidates and availability of vacancies subject to the standards not falling below limits fixed by the Commission.
6. As clearly stated in the Notice of the examination, the skill test will be of qualifying nature.
V. Candidates who have qualified both for the Proficiency Test for Assistant (CSS) And Skill Test for Tax Assistant and have opted for both need to take only the Proficiency Test. They will not be allowed to take the Skill Test in data entry separately.