Punjab JET PRACTICE TEST PAPER 2011
Time : 1½Hour
Maximum Marks : 400
Read the following passage and choose the correct option out of the four options given at the end of the each question (from question No. 1 to 6) .
Man is no doubt a great architect. But many members of the animal kingdom are no less. Their innovative designs and building techniques can inspire and put to shame many an expert. The ingenious use of available material amazes everyone. Meet the enterprising architects. Beavers are well–known for the dams and lodges they build. They have short and strong front teeth. With this, they gnaw through the trunk of trees, branches and cut pieces of necessary length. They choose a narrow part of the stream and drag all the wood to it. A four–to–five feet high dam is built with logs and interwoven branches, which are held firmly with mud and stones carried in their paws. Moles, gerbils, lemmings, besides rabbits, build their homes underground. Just one mole can dig a tunnel over 225 feet long in a night. Their homes have a network of passages and tunnels, which they keep extending. They throw out the earth, creating molehills and several exits. Gerbils found in Africa and Asia, also make burrows with several tunnels, which they constantly keep cleaning, renovating and extending. When there is a scarcity of food or flooding, they move to other burrows. Lemmings build a vast system of halls and tunnels, with several nests, storage facilities and even toilets. The mole rat has huge protruding incisors, which work as picks. These animals live on worms found underground. Moles bite the nerve center of earthworms, then immobilize and store them for later use. Their short hairs can move in all directions, thereby allowing the animal to burrow without dirt getting lodged in its fur. 1. Members of animal kingdom are also great_______.
a) Architects b) Killers
c) Magicians d) Speakers
2. Meaning of ingenious:
a) Worst b) Wonderful
c) Stupid d) Bad
3. Beavers are well known for the dams and _____ they build.
a) Houses b) Buildings
c) Lodges d) Dams
4. A high dam is built with ____.
a) Logs b) Sticks
c) Bricks d) Cement
5. One mole can dig a tunnel over ___feet long in a night.
a) 250 b) 270
c) 225 d) 280
6. Moles _____ earthworms for later use.
a) Demobilize b) Immobilize
c) Restore d) Throw
7. Change the voice of the given sentence:
The naughty boys laughed at the beggar.
a) The beggar is laughed at by the naughty boys.
b) The beggar is being laughed at by the naughty boys.
c) The beggar has been laughed at by the naughty boys.
d) The beggar was laughed at by the naughty boys.
8. Change the narration of the following sentence.
The old man said, “Alas! my youth is gone.
a) The old man exclaimed with sorrow that his youth is gone.
b) The old man exclaimed with sorrow that his youth was gone.
c) The old man exclaimed with joy that he has his youth gone.
d) The old man exclaimed with sorrow that my youth was gone.
9. Insert the suitable preposition.
Let us go _______ foot
a) on b) in
c) at d) by
10. Insert the suitable determiner.
Do you have _______ money?
a) much b) many
c) some d) any
11. Which of the following is the correctly punctuated sentence?
a) What a cold night b) What a cold night!
c) What a cold night? d) What a cold night.
13. Choose the appropriate English translation of the given sentence.
a) I shall company you in the last.
b) I shall stand by you to the last
c) I shall accompany you in the last.
d) I shall stand with you upto the last
14. Use suitable preposition to complete the sentence.
I prefer tea _______ coffee.
a) of b) at
c) into d) to
15. Choose the correct model to complete the sentence.
It _______ rain today
a) may b) might
c) must d) could
16. Choose the correct past continuous tense out of the following options.
a) The girl sings sweetly.
b) The girl is singing sweetly
c) The girl will sing sweetly
d) The girl was singing sweetly.
17. Choose the correct future indefinite tense out of the following options.
a) Ramesh has placed the jug on the table
b) Ramesh will place the jug on the table.
c) Ramesh had placed the jug on the table.
d) Ramesh was placed the jug on the table.
18. Which is the “one word substitution” for the following sentence.
A Government for the people, of the people and by the people.
a) Autocracy b) Democracy
c) Dictatorship d) Plutocracy
19. Which one of the following is the correct meaning of the idiom
“A bosom friend.”
a) Near friend b) Close friend
c) close enemy d) No friend
20. The word “Glimpse” means
a) Assist b) Scorn
c) mass d) vision
21. There are ________ number of Districts in Punjab.
a) 20 b) 22
c) 24 d) 28
22. Name the first Guru of Sikhs
a) Guru Angad Dev Ji
b) Guru Gobind Singh Ji
c) Guru Nanak Dev Ji
d) Guru Arjun Dev J
23. Name the Leading Industrial town of Punjab.
a) Amritsar b) Ludhiana
c) Gurdaspur d) Patiala
24. S. Parkash Singh Badal is _______ of Punjab.
a) Governor b) Education Minister
c) Chief Minister
d) Speaker of Vidhan Sabha
25. Popular Folk dance of Punjab associated with men is known as _______
a) Jhumar b) Sammi
c) Giddha d) Bhangra
26. Rice crop is harvested in the month of _______
a) December b) April
c) October d) January
27. Official language of Punjab is _______
a) Hindi b) Telgu
c) Marathi d) Punjabi
28. Who is the Indian most successful spin bowler belonging to Punjab
a) Kapil Dev b) Harbhajan Singh
c) Rahul Dravid
d) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
29. Deepawali is also known as festival of _______
a) Crackers b) Sweets
c) Lights d) Enjoyment
30. Holy book of Muslims is ________
a) Gita b) Bible
c) Quran d) Guru Granth Sahib
Select from the answer choices an appropriate number to replace the question mark (?) to continue the series.
31. 8, 13, 23, 43, 83, ?
a) 163 b) 173
c) 183 d) 193
32. The question contains two words with some relationship to each other. Select the option which is related in the same way as the words of the given pair:
Threat : Insecurity
a) Reason: Anger b) Sickness : Medicine
c) Challenge : Fight d) Love: Cheat
33. In a town, 65% people watched the news on television, 40% read a newspaper and 25% read a newspaper and watched the news on television also. What percent of the people neither watched the news on television nor read a newspaper?
a) 5 b) 10 c) 15 d) 20
34. Arjun is 4 years old and his sister Komal is three times as old as he is whenArjun is 12 years old, how old will Komal be
a) 16 years b) 20 years
c) 24 years d) 28 years
Click Here To Download PSBTE & IT Joint Entrance Test (JET) Model Paper 2011
Click Here To Punjab JET Scheme, Syllabus and Papers