Tamil Nadu Class X English Model Question Paper
Time : 2 ½ hours ENGLISH PAPER – I Maximum Marks : 100
PART – A
I Answer any three of the following questions in about 30 words each. Each question carries two marks 3 x 2 = 6
1. Who had to leave the forest after the tortoises? Why were they asked to go?
2. How does the female Ridley prepare her nest?
3. What according to Joan was the will of God?
4. What is it that the spectators at a race fail to understand?
II Explain any two of the following excerpts with reference to the contest. Each question carries three marks: 2 x 3 = 6
5. Work is wholesome, and there is plenty for everyone; it keeps us from boredom and mischief,………
6. A reasonable consideration for the rights or feelings of others is the foundation of social conduct.
7. When material is in profusion, the mind gets lazy and leaves everything to it, forgetting that for a successful feast of joy its internal equipment counts far more than the external.
8. Never regard your study as a duty, but as, enviable opportunity……………….
III Answer any two of the following each in a paragraph of about 100 words 2 x 5 = 10
9. What were the awful things that started happening in Pambapatti?
10. Why did Mrs. March pretend to be ill? What was its result?
11. Explain “Turtle Walk’ and state how it helps conserving Olive Ridleys.
12. How could one’s individual liberty pave way to an ideal social order?
IV Answer either of the following each in about 200 words. Each question carries ten marks: 1 x 10 = 10
13. How does Tagore compare his boyhood with that of a modern child?
14. Present a character sketch of Joan as portrayed in the prescribed text.
PART – B
V Answer any three of the following questions each in not more than 30 words each: 3 x 2 = 6
15. What is the central idea of the poem ‘Say Not, The Struggle Naught Availeth?
16. Did Mrs. Bird succeed in crossing the road? What happened to her?
17. Mention at least four aspects of life the ‘Yet to be born’child is afraid to face.
18. What does the poet Subrahmanya Hearths want to do once he gains his will?
VI Answer the questions which follow any two of the excerpts from the prescribed poems: 2 x 3 = 6
19. But pleasure like a cuckoo roams,
Makes much acquaintance, no friends true.
Explain the figure of speech in the poem.
20. And when I came, she stood, alone
A woman, turned to stone:
i) Why did the speaker go to see the woman ?
ii) What does the poet mean by ‘turned to stone’?
iii) Identify the rhyming words.
21. I will make you brooches and toys for your delight of bird – song at morning and star line at night.
i) Name the poet of the above lines
ii) What are brooches?
iii) To whom is the poem addressed?
22. No, I promised to love you, dear,
But I must be leaving.
i) Who speaks these words?
ii) What was the question for which this was the reply?
iii) Why does the speaker want to leave?
VII Answer any two of the following each in about 100 words: 2 x 5 = 10
23. How did the girl behave when the stone cutter was at work?
24. What makes the poem ‘Without Due Care’ a humorous satire on law and justice?
25. Why does Louis Neice express concern for the ‘Yet to be born’ and what does he expect out of nature ?
26. How does W.H.Davies bring out the qualitative differences between Joy and Pleasure in his poem.
VIII 27. Quote from memory either of the following : 5
For back, through creeks ………………. …………………… the land is bright.
Pleasure’s a Moth ………………………. ……………………… its sweet hour.
PART – C
IX Choose the appropriate response which conveys a similar meaning to the underlined word / phrase in the main sentence :
28. It was the smell of rot
i) The roots of the tree were small.
ii) The decayed leaves and flesh have a bad odour.
iii) The spring bring sweet smelling flowers.
29. The face threat from sharks.
i) The punishment is too severe to undergo
ii) There is a great risk of danger in climbing this steep hill.
iii) When the thief brandished a knife fear could be seen on the face of the tourists.
30. No words could be invented for such supreme happiness, eclipsing all other feelings.
i) This displeasure increased as the argument went on .
ii) The pain was not felt when we reached the summit and jumped with joy.
iii) Nothing can reduce your sorrow of failure.
31. The magnetic compass, probably sparked the genius in Albert …………….
i) The lightening struck a tree and that caused the forest fire.
ii) The diamond ring threw brilliance around in the show case.
iii) The timely guidance from my teacher was responsible for my innovative approached to the experiment.
32. Mrs. March received her repast with thanks, and laughed heartily over it after Jo was gone.
i) One should have at least a full meal daily.
ii) My mother received the gift by parcel.
iii) Compliments make people happy.
X Choose the best antonyms of the italicized words from the alternatives given with each sentence. 5 x 1 = 5
33. I am only passionately curious
i) careless ii) disinterested iii) suspicious iv) calm
34. His men are cowed now
i) encouraged ii) elated iii) humbled iv) snubbed
35. The release of hatchlings is over before day break
i) imprisonment ii) dismissed iii) getting discharged iv) custody
36. Makara would not give in
i) surrender ii) yield iii) revolt iv) argue
37. By what right, my dear sir, you go along our highways uttering that hideous curse on all who impede your path
i) decent ii) beautiful iii) soft iv) angry
XI Use any two of the following words min sentences of your own : 2 x 1 = 2
XII Use any two of the following phrases in sentences of your own : 2 x 1 = 2
41. Set about
42. back up
43. look down
XIII Fill in the blanks choosing the right alternative given in brackets: 2 x 1 = 2
44. I could not _____________ (practice / practice) the game before the match
45. I tell you, there are no eggs. There will be _____________ (nun / none)
XIV a) Use one word for the Phrasal verb or idioms italicized in either of the following
46. She tore up all the letters he had sent her 1
The thief vanished into thin air during the chase
Use a Verbal Phrase or an idiom in the place of the italicized in either of the following sentences
47. He resisted the attack strongly when he encountered the robbers.
The important documents are in safe custoday
PART – D
XV Rewrite as directed .Marks are indicated against each item.
48. Contact me immediately on your arrival at the Airport (Change into complex sentence) 1
The pair of shoes were so cheap that I decided to buy them (Change into compound sentence)
49. They confessed their involvement in the conspiracy (Change into complex sentence) 1
I like my friends yet I do not visit them during examination days (Change in to simple sentence)
50 .The Government had declared Monday a Holiday (Change the voice) 1
Let the students not be disturbed. (Change the voice)
51. Deccan plateau is one of the hottest places in India (Rewrite into positive degree) 1
Very few teachers are as punctual as Mrs.Sheela. (Rewrite into positive degree) 1
52. He spoke very well (Change into exclamatory sentence) 1
You can not return the book in a week,………….. ? (Supply a question tag)
53. I asked her to report at 9.00 a.m.She does not know the reason (combine in to simple sentence)
The gangster robbed the lady and killed her later (combine in to complex sentence)
54. My father asked the man that why he was late. (Correct the sentence) 1
55. Identify the type of clauses in the given sentence 2
I do not know, why I was transferred to Mumbai where there is no chance of promotion.
56. Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles : 2
The hatchling are so tiny that they can fit into _____________ palm of __________ adult. If one could
touch the nose of ______________ hatchling one would find projection that is sharp.
57. Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions 2
Just ______________ the window ___________ this room was a tank __________ a flight of masonary
steps leading down __________ the water.
58. “What a dreadful day this had been “! began Jo ,usually the first to speak. 2
“ It has seemed shorter than usual,but so uncomfortable ,”said He (Rewrite in reported form of speech)
59. Well prem said the old man have you fallen asleap (Punctuate the sentence) 2
60. Fill in the blanks with the correct tense form of the verbs given in brackets : 3
Elders ____________ (become) cheap to modern children : they ________ (be) too readily. 61. ‘No ,I cannot give any reason – (Frame a suitable question)
I completed my work last week (Wh – question)
62. Identify the Sentence pattern My father the Sentence Pattern
63. Form a sentence on the given pattern
Click Here To Download Tamil Nadu 10th Class Syllabus and Papers