TCS Online Placement Paper NIT Durgapur Held 17th,18th July 2010 | TCS Changed Online Placement Paper | TCS Online Placement Paper Pattern
TCS Online Placement Paper NIT DURGAPUR Held 0n 17-18 JULY 2010
Tcs took an online test consisting of two sections
1) verbal + aptitude
person clearing the cutoff in (1) will only be allowed to give psychometry. Verbal section was a little tough as all the words were new. I will advise u to go through the high frequency words of baron’s GRE book. I am unable to send the passages as nobody remembered them but they were similar to those given in baron’s GRE book. They have a huge database for verbal so be prepared for new words. Aptitude questions will be similar and psychometry will be same .
SECTION 1: VERBAL
I HAVE GIVEN BELOW THE WORDS THAT WERE ASKED IN SYNONYMS AND ANTONYMS.
Ponderous Heavy , Lumbering
Hamper Bond , Disadvantage , Handicap
Mundane Routine ,Quotidian ,Unremarkable
Mollify Pacify, Appease , Conciliate
Deprecation Denigration , Dispraise
Transient Ephemeral , Fugacious , Momentary
Mite Soupcon ,Pinch
Gaudy Tastelessly showy , Cheap , Meretricious
Contraband Black-marketed , Smuggled
Repellant Loathly , Rebarbative
Awry Amiss , Lopsided , Out of order , Wrong
Frugality Economy , thrift , parsimony
Repartee wit , humour
Boisterous fierce , robustious , rumbustious
Ungainly Lacking grace in movement or posture, awkward
Whimsical capricious , impulsive
Asperity Something hard to endure , rigorousness ,
Cavil Raise trivial objections , chicane
Quixotic unrealistic , romantic
Profound unfathomed , unplumbed , Of the
greatest intensity; complete
Incorrigible Impervious to correction by
punishment , delinquent , Persistent
Musty Stale and unclean smelling , frowsty , mouldy
Waif A homeless child , forsaken or orphaned
Irk Irritate or vex , gall
Cohere Hold together
Décolleté low necked
Repugnance Disgust , Revulsion , Abhorrence
To merit to deserve,
Heap to pile,
Instigate incite, bring out
Embrace cuddle , squeeze
to merit to deserve
Confiscate appropriate Covet crave
Caprice whim , impulse
Belate after time
Scrutiny Close examination
to confiscate appropriate
penitence Compunction , Repentence , Regretion
14. nonchalant : *anxious,courtious,honest,irrelevant
17.revocable: alterable,awakened,*final,called upon.
20.dangle : sound,ornament,small,*secure.
Precipitate dilatory , contradictory
Protean constant , consistent
Synergy (The working
together of two
things to produce ?
an greater effect )
SECTION 2: QUANTITATIVE AND LOGICAL REASONING.
MOST OF THE QUESTIONS WERE FROM TCS OLD PAPERS. THE QUESTIONS WILL BE OF THIS PATTERN TO EVERYONE. ONLY THE DATA GET CHANGES.
1. In a two-dimensional array, X (9, 7), with each element occupying 4 bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1) is 3000, find the address of X (8, 5). 3216
3. In the word ORGANISATIONAL, if the first and second, third and forth,
4. forth and fifth, fifth and sixth words are interchanged up to the last letter,
what would be the tenth letter from right? i
5. What is the largest prime number that can be stored in an 8-bit memory? 251
6. Select the odd one out. a. Java b. Lisp c. Smalltalk d. Eiffel. lisp
7. Select the odd one out a. SMTP b. WAP c. SAP d. ARP
8. Select the odd one out a. Oracle b. Linux c. Ingress d. DB2
10. Select the odd one out a. WAP b. HTTP c. BAAN d. ARP
11.Select the odd one out a. LINUX b. UNIX c. SOLARIS d. SQL SEVER
12.Select the odd one out a. SQL b. DB2 c. SYBASE d. HTTP
13.The size of a program is N. And the memory occupied by the program is given by M = square root of 100N. If the size of the program is increased by 1% then how much memory now occupied? Square root of 101N 14. A man, a woman, and a child can do a piece of work in 6 days. Man only can do it in 24 days. Woman can do it in 16 days and in how many days child can do the same work? 16
15. In which of the system, decimal number 384 is equal to 1234?
16. Find the value of the 678 to the base 7. 1656
17. Number of faces, vertices and edges of a cube 6 8 12
17. Complete the series 2, 7, 24, 77,_161
18. Find the value of @@+25-++@16, where @ denotes “square” and + denotes “square root”. 621
19. Find the result of the following expression if, M denotes modulus operation, R denotes round-off, T denotes truncation: M(373,5)+R(3.4)+T(7.7)+R(5.8) 19
20. If TAFJHH is coded as RBEKGI then RBDJK can be coded as RBDKK
21. G(0)=-1, G(1)=1, G(N)=G(N-1) – G(N-2), G(5)= ? -2
22. What is the max possible 3 digit prime number? 997
23. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width. A cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the river and 1500mts away from the power unit. The cost of the cable below water is Rs. 15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/- per meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
24. In Madras, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/2 + 8t + 3, where t is elapsed time. Find how much temperature more or less in 4pm to 9pm.
25. The size of the bucket is N kb. The bucket fills at the rate of 0.1 kb per millisecond. A programmer sends a program to receiver. There it waits for 10 milliseconds. And response will be back to programmer in 20 milliseconds. How much time the program takes to get a response back to the programmer, after it is sent?
26.If the vertex (5,7) is placed in the memory. First vertex (1,1) ‘s address is 1245 and then address of (5,7) is 1280
27. Which of the following are orthogonal pairs?
a. 3i+2j b. i+j c. 2i-3j d. -7i+j
28. If VXUPLVH is written as SURMISE, what is SHDVD?
29. If A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the wastage of fuel by 30%, 20% and 10%. What will be the fuel economy if they were used combined. 60%
30. What is the power of 2? a. 2068 b.2048 c.2668 2048
31. Complete the series. 3, 8,15 , 24,35, 48, 63
32. Complete the series. 4, -5, 11, -14, 22, -27
33. A, B and C are 8 bit no’s. They are as follows:
A 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1
B 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0
C 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1
Find ( (A-B) u C )= 01101101
34. A Flight takes off at 2 A.M from northeast direction and travels for 11 hours to reach the destination which is in north west direction. Given the latitude and longitude of source and destination. Find the local time of destination when the flight reaches there?
35. A can copy 50 papers in 10 hours while both A & B can copy 70 papers in 10 hours. Then for how many hours required for B to copy 26 papers? 13Hr
36. A is twice efficient than B. A and B can both work together to complete a work in 7 days. Then find in how many days A alone can complete the work?
37. A finish the work in 10 days. B is 60% efficient than A. So how days does B take to finish the work?
38. A finishes the work in 10 days & B in 8 days individually. If A works for only 6 days then how many days should B work to complete A’s work?
39.Given the length of the 3 sides of a triangle. Find the one that is impossible? (HINT : sum of smaller 2 sides is greater than the other one which is larger)
40.Find the singularity matrix from a given set of matrices?(Hint det(A)==0)
41.A 2D array is declared as A[9,7] and each element requires 2 byte. If A[ 1,1 ] is stored in 3000. Find the memory of A[8,5] ? 3108
42.Sum of slopes of 2 perpendicular st. lines is given. Find the pair of lines from the given set of options which satisfy the above condition? [Hint : y=mx+c and find the slope of the two Eqn. Compare the given answer with the value given]
43. (a) 2+3i (b)1+i (c) 3-2i (d) 1-7i .Find which of the above is orthogonal.
42.(Momentum*Velocity)/(Acceleration * distance ) find units. Kg MOMENTUM = MASS * VELOCITY
=> ( KG * D/S*D/S)/(D/S^2 * D) KG
43. The number 362 in decimal system is given by (1362)x in the X system of numbers find the value of X a}5 b) 6 c) 7 d) 8 e) 9
46. Given $ means Tripling and % means change of sign then find the value of $%$6-%$%6
47. My flight takes of at 2am from a place at 18N 10E and landed 10 Hrs later at a place with coordinates 36N70W. What is the local time when my plane landed.
a) 6:00 am b) 6:40am c)7:40 d)7:00 e)8:00 (Hint : Every 1 deg longitude is equal to 4 minutes . If west to east add time else subtract time)
48. Find the highest prime number that can be stored in an 8bit computer. 251
49. Which of the following set of numbers has the highest Standard deviation?
50. Match the following:
1. Male – Boy —> a. A type of
2. Square – Polygon —> b. A part of
3. Roof – Building —> c. Not a type of
4. Mushroom – Vegetables —> d. A superset of
Ans: 1- d, 2- a, 3- b, 4- c
51. Match the following.
1. brother – sister —> a. Part of
2. Alsatian – dog —> b. Sibling
3. sentence – paragraph —> c. Type of
4. car – steering —> d. Not a type of
Ans. 1-b, 2-c, 3-a, 4-d
Remaining Questions were from Graph, pie charts, Bar chart and Venn diagram which were very easy.
SECTION 3: CRITICAL REASONING
I.The players G,H,J,K,L,M,N,O are to be felicitated of representing the county team in Baseball Out of these H,M,O also are in the Football team and K,N are there in the Basket ball team . These players are to be seated on a table and no two players who has represented the county in more than one game are to sit together.
1.Which one of the orders can they be seated in
2. Which of the orders is not possible
3. If N is seated in the middle then which of the following pairs cannot be seated near him .
4. If M is seated then which of the following pairs can be seated next to him.
Choices are given for all the questions II There are 2 groups named Brown and red. They can’t marry in the same group. If the husband or wife dies then the person will convert to their own group. If a person is married then the husband will have to change his group to his wife’s group. The child will own the mothers group. From these a set of 4 questions were given .Solve them
1.Brown’s daughter is red (False)
2. If a person is red. Then his/her mother’s brother belong to which group if he is
married (Brown) III 7 people – a,b,c,d,e,f,g
Need to make a seating arrangement for them. Conditions: 1)A should be at the center 2) B,F should be at the right extreme
3)C,E always in pair 4)D,G as far as possible
Questions from the above were asked?
Eg: Which of the following pairs were not possible?
For all the questions they expect a elaborate answer with justifications and not a short one.
1) Market urself
2) Why TCS ?
3) Will u switch over to any other company after joining TCS? If NO then why?
4) R u mobile? ( R u ready to go anywhere ?)
5) R u ready to go to places of extreme temperature. If yes what do u think of ur safety?
6) What are the requirements for leadership quality ?
7) Why u switch over to s/w from ur own back ground?
8) What are the qualities required for a s/w engineer and Project manager?
9) Rate ur good qualities?
10) What is the difference between hard and smart work?
11) Do u have a plan of doing higher studies ?
Technical Questions :
The questions were different for different persons and depends on the field of interest that u say.
In this section you will find different questions with the same meaning. In all such questions your answer has to be same. for e.g.:
In being thrown by chance with a stranger, you wait for the person to introduce himself or herself.
(a) Yes (b) No (c) CAN’T SAY
It is difficult for you to chat about things in general with people.
(a) Yes (b) No (c) CAN’T SAY
These two questions have similar meanings. If you answer the first one ‘NO’ and the second one ‘YES’, i.e. if you differ in your answers to similar questions you lose marks for every question with the above meaning. The choices to these questions are:
(c) CAN’T SAY
1. You start to work on a project with great deal of enthusiasm.
2. You would rather plan an activity than take part in it.
3. You have more than once taken lead in organizing project or a group of some kind.
4. You like to entertain guests.
5. Your interests change quickly from one thing to another.
6. When you eat a meal with others, you are usually one of the last to finish.
7. You believe in the idea that we should ” eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die.”
8. When you find that something you have bought is defective, you hesitate to demand an exchange or a refund.
9. You find it easy to find new acquaintances.
10. You are sometimes bubbling over with energy and sometimes very sluggish.
11. You are happiest when you get involved in some projects that calls for rapid action.
12. Other people think of you as being very serious minded.
13. In being thrown by chance with a stranger, you wait for the person to introduce himself or herself.
14. You like to take part in many social activities.
15. You sometimes feel “just miserable” for no good reason at all.
16. You are often so much ” on the go” that sooner or later you may wear yourself out.
17. You like parties you attend to be lively.
18. If you hold an opinion that is radically different that expressed by a lecturer, you are likely to tell the person about it either during or after the lecture.
19. It is difficult for you to chat about things in general with people.
20. You give little thought to your failures after they are passed.
21. You often wonder where others get all the excess energy they seem to have.
22. You are inclined to stop to think things over before you act.
23. You avoid arguing over a price with a clerk or sales person.
24. You would dislike very much to work alone in some alone place.
25. You often find it difficult to go to sleep at night because you keep thinking of what happened during the day.
26. You find yourself hurrying to get to places even when there is plenty of time.
27. You like work that requires considerable attention to details.
28. You are satisfied to let some one else take the lead in group activities.
29. You enjoy getting acquainted with people.
30. It takes a lot to get you emotionally stirred up or excited.
31. You work more slowly and deliberately than most people of your sex and age.
32. You are a carefree individual.
33. When people do not play fair you hesitate to say anything about it to them.
34. It bothers you to have people watch you at your work.
35. You have usually been optimistic about your future.
36. You like to have plenty of time to stop and rest.
37. You take life very seriously.
38. You enjoy applying for a job in person.
39. You would like to be a host or hostess for parties at club.
40. You often feel uncomfortable or uneasy.
41. You are the kind of person who is “on the go” all the time.
42. You often crave excitement.
43. The thought of making a speech frightens you.
44. You find it easy to start conversation with strangers.
45. You often feel guilty without a very good reason for it.
46. People think you are a very energetic person.
47. You sometimes make quick decisions that you later wish you hadn’t made.
48. You find it difficult to ask people for money or other donations, even for a cause in which you are interested.
49. You are so naturally friendly that people immediately feel at ease with you.
50. You daydream a great deal.
51. You are quick in your actions.
52. You have a habit of starting things and then losing interest in them.
53. When you were a child many of your playmates naturally expected you to be the leader.
54. You sometimes avoid social contacts for fear of doing or saying the wrong thing.
55. You have frequent ups and downs in mood, sometimes with and sometimes without apparent cause.
56. You always seem to have plenty of vigour and vitality.
57. It is difficult for you to understand people who get very concerned about things.
58. When a clerk in a store waits on others who come after you, you call his or her attention to the fact.
59. You would be very unhappy if you were prevented from making numerous social contacts.
60. There are times when your future looks very dark.
61. You sometimes wish that people would slow down a bit and give you a chance to catch up.
62. Many of your friends think you take your work too seriously.
63. You hesitate to walk into a meeting when you know that everyone’s eye will be upon you.
64. You limit your friendships mostly to members of your own sex.
65. You almost always feel well and strong.
66. You seem to lack the drive necessary to get as much as other people do.
67. You make decisions on the spur of the moment.
68. You are rather good at bluffing when you find yourself in difficulty.
69. After being introduced to someone , you just cannot think of things to say to make good conversation.
70. You feel lonesome even when with other people.
71. You are able to work for unusually long hours without feeling tired.
72. You often act on the first thought that comes into your head.
73. At the scene of an accident, you take an active part in helping out.
74. You have difficulty in making new friends.
75. Your mood often changes from happiness to sadness or vice versa without knowing why.
76. You talk more slowly than most people.
77. You like to play practical jokes upon others.
78. You take the lead in putting life into a dull party.
79. You would like to belong to as many clubs and social organizations as possible.
80. There are times when your mind seems to work very slowly and other times when it works very rapidly.
81. You like to do things slowly and deliberately.
82. You are a happy-go-lucky individual.
83. When you are served stale or inferior food in a restaurant, you say nothing about it.
84. You would rather apply for a job by writing a letter than by going through with a personal interview.
85. You are often in low spirits.
86. You are inclined to rush from one activity to another without pausing enough for rest.
87. You are so concerned about the future that you do not get as much fun out of the present as you might.
88. When you are attracted to a person whom you have not met earlier you make an active attempt to get acquainted even though it may be quite difficult.
89. You are inclined to limit your acquaintances to select few
90. you seldom give your past mistakes a second thought.
91. You are less energetic than many people you know.
92. You often stop to analyzed your thoughts and feelings.
93. You speak out in meetings to oppose those whom you feel sure are wrong.
94. You are so shy it bothers you.
95. You are sometimes bothered by having a useless thought come into your mind over and over.
96. You get things in hurry.
97. It is difficult for you to understand how some people can be so unconcerned about the future.
98. You lie to sell things (i.e. to act as a sales person)
99. You are often “Life of the Party”.
100. You find daydreaming very enjoyable.
101. At work or at play other people find it hard to keep up with the pace you set.
102. You can listen to a lecture without feeling restless.
103. You would rather work for a good boss than for yourself.
104. You can express yourself more easily in speech than in writing.
105. You keep in fairly uniform spirits.
106. You dislike to be hurried in your work.
107. You sometimes find yourself “crossing bridges before you come to them”.
108. You find it somewhat difficult to say “no” to a sales person who tries to sell you something you do not really want.
109. There are only a few friends with whom you can relax and have a good time.
110. You usually keep cheerful in spite of trouble.
111. People sometimes tell you to “slow down” or “take it easy”.
112. You are one of those who drink or smoke more than they know they should.
113. When you think you recognize people you see in a public place, you ask them whether you have met them before.
114. You prefer to work alone.
115. Disappointment affect you so little that you seldom think about them twice.
116. You are slow and deliberate in movements.
117. You like wild enthusiasm, sometimes to a point bordering on rowdyism at a football or baseball game.
118. You feel self conscious in the presence of important people.
119. People think of you as being a very social type of person.
120. You have often lost sleep over your worries.
121. You can turn out a large amount of work in a short time.
122. You keep at a task until it is done, even after nearly everyone else has given up.
123. You can think of a good excuse when you need one.
124. Other people say that it is difficult to get to know you well.
125. You daydreams are often about things that can never come true.
126. You often run upstairs taking two steps at a time.
127. You seldom let your responsibility interfere with your having a good time.
128. You like to take on important responsibilities such as organizing a new business.
129. You have hesitated to make or to accept “dates” because of shyness.
130. Your mood is very easily influenced by people around you.
131. Others are often amazed by the amount of work you turn out.
132. You generally feel as though you haven’t a care in the world.
133. You find it difficult to get rid of sales person whom you do not care to listen or give your time.
134. You are a listener rather than a talker in a social conversation.
135. You almost always feel that life is very much worth living.
136. It irritates you to have to wait at a crossing for a long freight train to pass.
137. You usually say what you feel like saying at the moment.
138. You like to speak in public.
139. You like to be with people.
140. You generally keep cool and think clearly in exciting situations.
141. Other people regard you as a lively individual.
142. When you get angry, if you let yourself go, you feel better.
143. You seek to avoid all trouble with other people.
144. People seem to enjoy being with you.
145. You sometimes feel listless and tired for no good reason.
146. It is hard to understand why many people are so slow and get so little done.
147. You are fond of betting on horse races and games, whether you can afford it or not.
148. If someone you know has been spreading untrue and bad stories about you, you see the person as soon as possible and have a talk about it.
149. Shyness keep you from being as popular as you should be.
150. You are generally free from worry about possible misfortunes.
I would advise u strictly to go through the whole set of groups and
define urselves- the key to psychometric test is to define who u are and
then start looking in to deeply the questions.
Few qualities are
BALANCED PSYCHE people who are balanced- not wavery in their moods etc..
PATIENCE AND ATTRIBUTE OF TAKING RIGHT DECISIONS AFTER
EASYGOING AND CAREFREE NATURED PERSONALITIES
SLOW SLUGGISH DULL PERSONALITIES
STRONG FULL OF ENERGY
Click Here To Download TCS Placement Paper