Paper and Pencil Test
On this part of the paper and pencil test you will hear 30 short conversations.Listen carefully to the speakers.Focus especially on the the second speaker.
Example-1 Woman: Put your foot on the clutch and gently depress it.
Man: But every time I do it, it jumps.
Question: What is the man’s problem?
1. His bicycle is broken.
2. He doesn’t perform well in the clutch.
3. He doesn’t know how to drive.
4. He is extremely depressed and nervous.
Man: When it comes to fixing faucets, I hear you’re the best in town..
Woman: That, and replacing pipes.
Question: What can be inferred about the woman?
1. She’s a heavy smoker.
2. She plays the organ.
3. She owns four sets of pipes.
4. She is a plumber.
Man: Here, take this towel.You’re dripping all over the floor.
Woman: I got caught in a downpour.
Question: What is the woman’s problem?
1. She spilled her coffee as she was pouring it.
2. She was arrested by the police.
3. She tripped on the floor.
4. She is soaked.
Woman: She said to cut down on my fat intake and to get more exercise.The checkup didn’t last long.
Man: Did you talk to her about the problem with your ear?
Question: What are these speakers discussing?
1. A sporting event.
2. A doctor’s appointment.
3. A grammar exercise.
4. Taking overweight people to the gym..
Woman: I just can’t stand my job anymore.My boss is not supportive at all.
Man: If I were you I wouldn’t take it anymore.I’d let her know how you feel.
Question: What does the man suggest the woman do?
1. Take more rest breaks while at work.
2. Quit her job and find a new one.
3. Request an immediate leave of absence from her boss.
4. Confront her supervisor.
Woman: You had three rebounds and four blocked shots on the court tonight.
Man: Don’t forget my twelve assists and twenty points.
Question: What can be inferred about the man?
1. He needs assistance to solve his problem.
2. He was shot four times during the robbery.
3. He played in a basketball game.
4. His case was blocked in court.
Woman: I’d like to buy a new car, but this model of Toyota is too expensive.
Man: More so than I thought.
Question: What does the man say about the car?
1. He thinks it is extremely nice.
2. He thought the car was less expensive.
3. He would like to take it for a test ride.
4. He would prefer more choices.
Woman: I’ve heard great things about that movie that just came out.You want to go see it tonight?
Man: I’d love to, but I’ve got a history final in two days, and I haven’t studied all quarter.I think I’d better take a rain check this time.
What does the man mean?
1. He needs to take a break from his studying.
2. He loves the woman very much.
3. He doesn’t like going out in the rain.
4. He will not be able to accompany the woman.
Man: It sounds like it is going to be extremely tough.I’ve heard that at the end of the quarter most of the questions are essay.
Woman: I hope not.I really prefer matching or multiple choice.
Question: What are these people talking about?
1. A final exam they are going to take.
2. A multiplication problem that they cannot find the solution to.
3. A journey they are about to take.
4. Something they forgot to say to their friend.
Man: What does Susan think about her new job? I’ve heard it through the grapevine that she’s dissatisfied.
Woman: It’s not exactly that.She simply feels that she’s not cut out for it.
Question: What does the woman say about Susan?
1. She is cutting classes.
2. She works on grape vines.
3. She feels she isn’t suited for her new job.
4. Susan’s new job is too simple.
Woman: The truck is gone and I don’t see Fred anywhere.
Man: He must have decided to go to work after all.
Question: What had the man assumed about Fred?
1. Fred had stolen a truck.
2. Fred wasn’t going to work.
3. Fred couldn’t make a decision..
4. Fred’s truck was broken down..
Man: Michael passed the GRE test easily.
Woman: You’re surprised?
Question: What had the woman assumed about Michael?
1. Michael would do well on the test.
2. Michael never talked about his past.
3. Michael surprised his professor.
4. Michael was in love with her.
Woman: What a birthday party! All of the food is great–but this strawberry cheesecake is especially good.Why don’t you try some?
Man: If I weren’t on a diet I would.Strawberry cheesecake is my favorite.
Question: What is the man probably going to do?
1. Pass up the food.
2. Try a bite of the cake.
3. Buy a strawberry cheesecake.
4. Get the recipe for the cake.
Man: John’s grades in math are incredibly low.Maybe he needs a tutor to get through the class.
Woman: That could be true, but we should talk to him first.
Question: What are these people probably going to do next?
1. Study math with John.
2. Take John to a doctor.
3. Discuss the problem with John.
4. Find John a study group.
Man: It’s really hot today.The temperature must be over a hundred.The forecast is for rain in the afternoon.
Woman: How about putting off the picnic until tomorrow?
Question: What does the woman suggest that they do?
1. Take a walk in the rain.
2. Delay their outing.
3. Go on a picnic.
4. Find out the weather forecast.
Man: It looks like Jane is coming apart at the seams.I think she should seek psychological help.
Woman: Oh, I wouldn’t say that.She seems to be coping with her problems reasonably well.
Question: What does the woman imply?
1. Jane is not losing emotional control.
2. Jane is more intelligent than she seems.
3. Jane made an excellent copy of the parts.
4. Jane wouldn’t say that.
Man: I’ve heard that the new Chemistry class is really difficult.
Woman: Oh, I wouldn’t say that.I took Chemistry 402 last quarter, and I think the course went very smoothly.
Question: What does the woman mean?
1. The chemistry class is very tough.
2. The chemistry class is not teaching this quarter.
3. The chemistry class is easier than the man thinks.
4. The chemistry class should be avoided if possible.
Woman: The milk in the refrigerator is sour.I don’t think it’s drinkable.
Man: No joke.The expiration date was three weeks ago.
Question: What does the man imply?
1. The woman has an extremely sour disposition.
2. They need to replace the refrigerator.
3. The woman is just kidding.
4. It’s not surprising the milk has ruined.